Your SD Card may accumulate photos and videos over time. The file system may be corrupt or infected by a virus. These issues can be fixed easily if you know how format an SD card.
When to format and when to reformat
Format and reformat are the same thing in everyday language. There is a difference. Format refers only to the first formatted SD card, while reformat refers to subsequent formats.
Format and reformat are slightly different terms in technology terms.
Like all removable media and media, SD cards must be formatted before being used as storage. Formatting creates a directory structure to store files. Formatting the SD card a second time uses the same file system, but deletes files.
To change the file system of an SD card, it can be reformatted. An SD card taken from a Windows PC must be formatted in order to work on a Mac.
This is when it’s important to format or reformat an SD card.
- Format your SD card once per month if you are a frequent photographer and delete many images from your computer. Formatting your SD card once a month will ensure that it runs at its best and prevents files from becoming corrupt.
- If the SD card fails to recognize your device , or you receive an error message when trying to use it, there may be a corrupted file system on the SD card or a virus. To restore the SD card’s original state, format it.
- Format the SD card twice if you plan to give it to someone else. Make sure that your files can’t be recovered. Format the SD card and fill it with public domain photos. Then format it again. If the other person has a different operating system, you can reformat the SD Card.
Formatting an SD Card doesn’t erase all files. It only removes the file reference. You may be able use a data retrieval software tool to retrieve files if you accidentally formatted an SD card.
How to format a camera SD card
Your camera is the best way to format your SD card. Formatting the camera minimizes the possibility of making mistakes.
The format of a camera SD Card will vary depending on which brand you have. To format an SD card, refer to the instruction manual of your camera or the manufacturer’s website.
- Backup the files from the SD card to your computer, or to a cloud storage service.
- Check that the battery of your camera is fully charged.
- Turn off your camera and insert the SD Card into the appropriate slot.
- Turn on the camera.
- Select Menu from the camera.
Creative Crop / Getty Images
- Select the Setupmenu in the camera display and select Format or Memory Card.
- Select OK from the camera.
- The camera will format the SD card while you wait. Formatting the card may take several minutes.
- After the SD card has been formatted, turn off your camera.
How to format the SD card in your Android
Many Android smartphones, tablets, cameras and cameras come with a microSD card. Format the SD card with the Android device if the SD card is showing signs of trouble.
Back up your files before you start.
- Go to Settings> Care.
- Tap Storage.
- Tap Advanced.
- Select your SD card from Portable storage
- Tap Format.
- Tap Format SD Card.
How to reformat an SD card using Windows
To reformat an SD Card to change the file type, simply insert the SD card into Windows and do a high-level formatting.
Formatting the SD cards with a computer is quicker than using the SD card camera. Camera formatting optimizes the file structure for the camera.
- Place the SD card in the SD card slot of your laptop or PC.
- File Explorer Open Windows
- Select This Computer in the Folder pane.